Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Oh, hold that biopsy


Today's urologist appointment was supposed to be a nothing appointment so we decided that I didn't have to go.  Thursday, April 11, is the biopsy and she was just following up.
Well, she asked Tony what oncology said last week and he told her they should be looking for testicular cancer as well.
Dr. S, (urologist) explained that if it is testicular cancer and they do the biopsy, they risk spreading the cancer when they go in.  Therefore, cancel the biopsy.  She said that they can check it with blood work.  They sent him to the lab for blood work.  Results will be ready by this Thursday mid day.
This Thursday, we are going to Humber River Hospital for the usual chemo and wait for Dr. S. to call us with results.
If positive for testicular cancer, they will remove it Thursday afternoon with surgery.  If not, she will schedule biopsy for next week on Wednesday.  She still hasn't ruled out infection or plasmacytoma.
Stay tuned folks.
Mary

2 comments:

  1. Mary, I am a total stranger and stumbled on your blog through a Google Alert (for Humber River) and have read every entry. What a great idea to blog about your experiences and how well you have described the ups and downs of your journey.
    My wife, Gabriella has had an ongoing struggle with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma after diagnosis 11 years ago. The cancer transformed last summer into a rapidly growing form and she was given 6 chemo treatments at Sunnybrook that ended last month. We will hear the results of her CT scan this Friday so things are a little bit tense as you can imagine. Reading your blog reminded me about the roller-coaster ride that cancer and its complications and treatment can give you. As you point out, there are new treatments coming out all the time and hope is what keeps us going.
    I wish I'd had the foresight to keep a blog on my wife's treatments - I hope that oncologists discover your blog as it sheds light on the side of diagnosis and treatment that few in the medical profession experience
    All the very best to you and Tony,

    Roy Murray

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Roy. Thank you for your comment. Yes, news of new treatments coming up does give us hope. Friends and family have been much appreciated and at times overwhelming. This latest "thing" has taken a toll on me, as you know, I'm sure. But I'd like to quote a text message I received today, from a family member which I plan on reading from time to time. She said,
    "This too will pass. I've learned that God doesn't give you anything you can't handle and if its a big load like this one then he sends family and friends your way"
    I hope you too are blessed with friends and family to help you get through this. This blog helps mostly to keep family and friends updated, as well as journal most things. Emotions are keep within us, but I know people know that it is there. Cancer truly puts your life and priorities in check.
    I wish you and Gabriella all the best for this Friday's results.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete